20100506

03. Lo que América puede

Louise comes to my door and tells me, I'm leaving. I don't ask why because I know it is because of Los Muertos. Because she can't stand them, or she loves them too much, because she cannot stay always like this. Waiting and jumping. And she says I'm leaving, you know, it's not a happy feeling, what's the matter, she asks me, and I yell at her, goddamnit, Louise, I'm not ready,
I'm not ready
I'm not ready
goddamnit
goddamnit Louise
the room is a mess after the theft. We have nothing.
The two Muertos stand in silence at the end of the corredor. Los Muertos are always the problem. We usually think love is the problem, because it happens more often at this age, but the real problem is death, love pushes you to die, death stops you from loving, death can stop a train going east, death can drain Miami beach, death always destroys Louissiana, death is money and intermittent phonecalls, love is so worthless compared to death, but why are we talking about love. Louise: with her cold solid trembling voice: go home.
Go home, she tells me.
But where? I say
And so many said that before me, and it's such an empty question.